Wednesday, January 13, 2021

The Northern Floats

Since leaving Hawaii more than two weeks ago, we've made our way steadily south. Hawaii is 19 degrees North of the equator and we're now at 44 degrees South. We've deployed four of the SOCCOM floats so far. 

Chief Scientist Barney Balch and Scripps restech Charlie prepare to deploy SOCCOM float "Hawk-eye." Photo by Megan Roadman.

The other big news is that we were allowed to stop wearing masks on day 15. People onboard seem very grateful for the change, though it definitely takes some getting used to. I find myself touching my chin or reaching into my pocket at times, panicked that I'm not wearing a mask when I should be. We get to enjoy this time after spending two weeks in hotel isolation and then another two weeks social distancing once we got underway. I know I'll have to go back to it once the cruise is over, so I'm planning to enjoy the next six weeks of being relatively stress-free about the pandemic.



We're also able to serve ourselves buffet-style at meals. For the first two weeks, our cooks Richard and Ruth had been serving us. I'm sure they're happy for the change! We also had set meals windows and sat only two people to a table that could fit six. Sitting right next to and right across from people at meals feels like such a luxury!

It's only been a few days, but we're definitely missing the calm seas of the tropics. We're in the roaring 40s now and headed as far as 60 degrees South. With 6 more floats to go, we'll be busy. Check back for more updates!


Missing that blue water from the deployment at 30 degrees South.


No comments:

Post a Comment